Thursday, April 15, 2010

Who's that lady?

I'm trying to learn Korean. I wonder how long I'll be able to keep it up. It's been surprisingly easy so far.

Here I am, about to take the relatively insignificant step of graduating high school. I can't say I've not had fun, but I can say the best fun I've had is sticking it to the man. How else would I have fun?

I wonder how it'll be at college. I wonder how hard I'll have to work to stick it to the man there. I wonder if they'll kick me out for something stupid like drinking tea (rebellious!) or if I'll just end up as a pariah. I told my mom tonight "I'll be the smartest dude at college" as I was making some tea. She told me I was a moron, so I said "I'll be the coolest dude at college." Cool or not, I'll try to at least be the baddest dude: I'm going to grow a mustache. Problem is I can't grow a good mustache. Good sideburns, good beard, lousy mustache.

My writing skills have languished over the last year. I imagine it's because I've been doing less writing for pleasure and what writing I have been doing has mostly been poetry.

There's a really cool type of French poetry that works like this: there's a pair of lines that sound exactly the same when read aloud, but when read from the page are totally different. A poem is made out of these pairs, where every dang syllable rhymes. The meaning isn't as important because it's plain old fun to read poems like these.

Every once in a while, there's one of those gems of the human population...

I'll finish that one later. Maybe in poetic form.

9 comments:

melee said...

Ok. I'm missing that whole thing about tea drinking.

miranda said...

My friend had to write a poem of that form for her creative writing class. She did it about how she hates to rhyme. It was actually quite well done.

RT (Panzer Time!) said...

Lots of Mormons don't drink tea. Some think it's wrong.

melee said...

Oh! I get it. You know you mentioned how you didn't write for pleasure as much anymore?

I was going through some old notebooks the other day (I have dozens, some with only 3 pages written on) and I found a bunch of my...poetry. I don't write poetry! Or I'm really good at forgetting.

RT (Panzer Time!) said...

I hear ya on the whole piles of blank notebooks thing. I have so many notebooks that have a couple of pages of notes on one computer thing (manually booting GRUB, for example) or drawings and seventy blank pages. I kept telling myself: "This'll be the one! This is gonna be the last notebook I need!" And a few hours later I'd open up a brand new one.

melee said...

Ha! I'm so that way! Except I have an additional flaw, it it's pretty, it's twice as attractive to write in...for a couple of pages.

RT (Panzer Time!) said...

I don't go for the pretty notebooks so much as the "mechanically pleasing" ones. Ones that seem super durable or well made are more likely to hold my attention for a couple of days.

melee said...

Not the ones made out of ribbon? Those are my eye candy.

RT (Panzer Time!) said...

I like the standard composition notebooks with the black tape along the back edge. The problem with those, however, is that it's hard to tear pages out and that the corners of the covers fray real easy.