Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Panzer Time!

Yesterday in English our beloved teacher was absent due to illness. We had a substitute on the way, but we still needed entertainment for a while until he arrived. Our teacher from last year came in and we cheered.

Last year, he used a Jeopardy "page-a-day" calendar every morning to wake us up. Naturally, I won for the year. I was so proud of myself that I had trophies made for the top three scorers.

While he was babysitting us yesterday, we held a Jeopardy contest with this year's page-a-day. Naturally, I won, even though I wasn't in top form.

One question went as follows: "This popular 1940 German song was about tanks rolling through North Africa." I didn't know the answer. I guessed "Horst Wessel Lied" for fun, but I was wrong. The song was called "Panzer!"

The girl who sits behind me this year was the second place competitor last year. She started laughing. It cut me to the core. She said something along the lines of: "It's just funny that you don't know that." (If you don't get the joke, look at the frikkin title of my blog.) I mean, I guess it is funny, but still. I felt bad.

I came home from skool early today. I have a bunch of free time tonight, so I decided to look around and find a copy of this "Panzer!" YouTube brought the quickest result, and it is here.

15 comments:

melee said...

Sorry.(teehee)
Take it as consolation that you pretty much beat everyone on every other question, even though you did get kind of miffed at the fact that no one raised his/her hand except you.

I was actually thinking 'panzer' in my head. The other half (ok, most) was concentrating on the fact that, of half the facts we were going through, I could place a song to. I guess music and history are more closely related than I supposed.

The night Chicago died...dadadum dadadum...

RT (Panzer Time!) said...

Chicago, huh?

I'm going to pause my all-night Camouflage, Billy Idol, Duran Duran, Human League, and INXS video fest to look this song up.

And I've told you this before, but Scarface was on in the operating room while I was being born.

dema miranda said...

That's kind of funny. If I were in Mel's shoes, I would have laughed, too...:) Of course, I would have had no right to talk because I wouldn't have known the answer either.

mle said...

I have a whole list of Chicago songs. Mainly consisting of 3 songs. "Night Chicago Died" "Mrs. o'Leary" and "Silver bells".

Also, I was singing Chicago the musical earlier.

He had it comin'. He had it comin'...

RT (Panzer Time!) said...

Well, this is how it rolled out. I listened to The Night Chicago Died. So I was sort of humming it in my head. It's not a bad song.

It was 2300 hrs (11 for mortals) and I decided to start my homework. The precal due yesterday first, the precal due today next, and a bit of French to top it off. I got set up for the math and started Pandora, which is my Internet radio station. First song: Born to Fly by Scorpions. So I have this intense nu-metal battling The Night Chicago Died in my head.

It was sort of fun. It made the homework next to impossible though.

RT (Panzer Time!) said...

And Silver Bells is Chicago-specific? I never realized that.

It's Christmas time in Orlando...

mle said...

You know, I don't think it is, but growing up I always conected Silver Bells with Chicago. Might be my favorite Christmas song actually.

RT (Panzer Time!) said...

I always stuck it with New York. At my old skool we put on "holiday" plays every year, and one year it prominently featured that song and was set in New York.

And it was stuck in my head all night.

mle said...

Unfortunately, though I love the song, John got White Christmas stuck in my head.

RT (Panzer Time!) said...

Can we stop with the Christmas? I want to wait until December this year. Then you can sing all the Christmas songs you want to me.

We have a Christmas tree up year-round. My sisters were trying to decorate it for Halloween today.

I'm not ready for holidays.

Anonymous said...

We ususally have christmas stuff up for 3 weeks max. I always lobby to have it up longer, but my mom's a grinch. I love decorating the tree, though lately it's been only me and it gets a bit lonely.

RT (Panzer Time!) said...

Well, I like Christmas itself, but the "holiday spirit" is a little oppressive. I don't like the whole "carry twenty-five crates filled with heavy stuff down from the attic and get yelled at for going too slow" thing.

mel said...

I just like that I can connect to all of the ornaments. No mundane little bulbs for us. A lot of stuff from elementary. We also get a ornament every year. Jared gets a snowman, London a Santa, and me an angel. It's a neat tradition.

RT (Panzer Time!) said...

We do the new element I mean ornament every year too. I tend to get nuctcrackers and Russian stacking dolls of Santa.

mle said...

I "bought" some...what, Bushkas?...the other day. Actually I "bought" it from a friend and she gave it to me free cause her daughter would want that.