Sunday, August 24, 2008

I flippin' love this tie!

I was writing a talk for church today on the backs of index cards and, as I am wont to do, I let my mind wander quite a bit while I was doing it. I got to thinking about how I've never run for any sort of electable position at skool. I always blamed it on "I don't want to get involved in weirdo Church of Christ politics (I'm Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, sorta different there)," but I don't think that was entirely honest. I tried figuring out a bit why I never did run. I thought about bizarre confidence problems that seem to come out of the woodwork at times. I mean bizarre. I'd be much more confident as an Olympic gymnast than as an actor in a high-skool production of "Up the Down Staircase." And I've never done any gymnastics before, but I have acted before. Now tell me that isn't bizarre. I mean, how does that make sense? I know I'd make the greatest under-cover soldier guerrilla secret agent ever, but my fear of not being able to properly pull of a Czech accent prevents me from buying a tuxedo and growing a mustache and flying to Spain. I think that's strange too.

So I thought some more, because I knew that it wasn't the confidence that was the issue. I was CONFIDENT that if I ran I would win. I considered lack of caring. That seemed more like it. That's something I'm real good at. Apathy has always been a real cool cannon that I could fire whenever something got in my way. Lame teacher? Blam, I don't care. Bad food? Blam, fish is better, who cares. Hard final exam? Pshaw, I can take an F on this. Caltech isn't gonna look at my seventh-grade Bible grades. (Neither am I, if it means anything.) So apathy was definitely an ingredient.

Now I also told people I NEVER WANT TO BE LIKE AMY HARWELL. Yeah, the one who told me later that her hair was naturally black. (I believe her.) I don't want to be the scapegoat that everyone unfairly blames for all their problems for years afterward. I know, however, that I wouldn't do anything disastrous enough for that to happen. And I certainly wouldn't let the people who control me do that either. Ha ha, Sons of Liberty.

So, guys! I just shot my own excuse full of holes. Should I run next year? Note, however, that if I get a job at the State Department like I'm trying to do, I won't be able to attend the dumb (apathy!) retreat, thusly nullifying my election. But money is no object! I'm rolling in cash! Or actually, my financiers are! So if I should run, then I'll run! And throw everyone's confidence in the toilet!

Salt Marsh: I was serious about the suspenders thing and the chess thing.

25 comments:

Blub said...

Oh, RT. We always knew you could do anything, you just never cared. It's always an A for ability, C for effort.

If you started trying, you could be amazing.

This is funny, last night I had a dream that you would write a blog post to counter the effects of my 120 posts done in a day.

:D

RT (Panzer Time!) said...

120 in one day? Crap, I gotta get crackin'!

Actually, I was looking through all my old posts, and I realized that I have 75 posts to your 52 and Dema's 57. I win!

meloraness. said...

I get you. Same way, mostly.


I like Amy Harwell. She cussed me out once, but stage fright (or maybe just drama queening) can do that to you. She pulled a minor miracle at Harding: She gave a speech and managed to actually change the minds of rut-minded students. Me, I usually wait till the speeches anyway.

Oh, and it's only the "major" churches who have politics anyway. Whitestation, Highland, and Sycamore View mostly. Where's Holmes Road CoC? The hood.

RT (Panzer Time!) said...

What I'm trying to ask is, do you guys think I should run this year?

Blub said...

If you honestly think you can work with the other people and do it well, go for it. I wouldn't do anyone there, you see.

RT (Panzer Time!) said...

I don't want the "if you say so" answer. I want to know if you think I'd make a better representative for us than the people we already have. Really - how well does Mr. Treasurer represent anybody? Mr. Unopposed is cool, but he doesn't really represent us very well. You know what I mean. If you WANT me to run, I'll run. I know I'd do a good job of working with (aka silencing) the others. I want to know if YOU think that.

Blub said...

If you ran this time? You'd have a hard time working with Sam's crew, just as Taylor is.

Who knows what next years line-up'll be? We can only guess atm.

RT (Panzer Time!) said...

You're still missing the point! It wouldn't be Sam's crew, it would be my crew! There wouldn't be working with anyone because I automatically win meetings! DO YOU WANT ME TO FLIPPING RUN OR NOT?

dema miranda said...

If I could vote, I would vote for you RT. You'd just have to promise me to cooperate and give the others a chance to speak as well:)

Blub said...

RUN, RT, RUN.

RUN TO YOUR FLIPPIN' HEART'S CONTENT.

Have I got a long way to run
Have I got a long way to run
Yeah, I run

RT (Panzer Time!) said...

Since SOMEONE ELSE gave me an actual yes/no answer today, I think I'll listen to them. Any thoughts, Mel and Dema?

ashleybee said...

That someone else is ME. :)
I'm supporting you all the way, bud.

RT (Panzer Time!) said...

Thank you.

Melora!! said...

I gotta thought: Run. BUT!!!!

Play well with others. For the people not the badge.

RT (Panzer Time!) said...

OK, I'll run. If you guys promise to support me and all that. And make posters.

I'll be elected to LEAD, not to READ. I'll play nice, and I'll do it for the people, but I can tell ya that it'll still be hardball. When the gloves come off, they come off. I like winning meetings. Meetings are rather inefficient.

me said...

Don't let yourself get mad at Zimbobwe!

So whaddya mean about Taylor? I, weirdly, am kinda concerned. Don't faint.

RT (Panzer Time!) said...

Zimbabwe? I AM pretty mad at Mugabe, but he's only one Zimbabwean.

Maybe he means the fact that Taylor hasn't done anything particularly concrete or good.

dema miranda said...

RT, I support you all the way; you have such great potential to do wonderful things--however much my word counts. Although I can't vote, you have my complete support. I am confident that you will make a great leader, but remember one thing: this is just a high school student council. Although the position should be taken seriously, have fun with it; be willing to laugh and make friends and be silly every once in a while. Play well and loosen up a bit; it'll pay off in the long run.

VOTE RT:)

mle said...

Artie? Silly?...


I don't know, I actually do want know what he's going through. Great. I sound like a gossip.

RT (Panzer Time!) said...

Who's going through? I'm going through acute common errors syndrome.

mle said...

Misplaced modifier! Incorrect punctuation! Improper Placement!

AAAAHHHHH!!!

RT (Panzer Time!) said...

You know it. I like grammar and all, but common errors packets are just obnoxious.

RT (Panzer Time!) said...

Oh, and ; for your pleasure.

Anonymous said...

I, personally, hate semicolons! I prefer a strong, firm ending to my sentences, thank you.

Am I a man???

RT (Panzer Time!) said...

Semicolons are great! Sometimes only a middle-ground sentence element will fit the bill.

And I don't know why you ask, but you're definitely very feminine.