Saturday, June 14, 2008

We cracked the Gibson!

I saw what looked like the lamest date ever today. Here's the story.

I went down to the river to go skimboarding today. I was having fun, and some dude who looked like he knew what he was doing showed up. He was skimboarding too. Then I noticed that he had his girlfriend with him. No biggie. What he does is his business, right? Well then I saw that she wasn't skimboarding. But she was moving around all the ramps for him and standing around watching him skimboard in a mediocre manner.


Now what's the deal with this? "Hey toots, lets go watch me skimboard. And then you can move around the ramps." That's so vain and inconsiderate. It's like if I said "Come on, I'm going to hack this server and you're going to watch me sit in front of my flickering VGA monitor and get me a screwdriver or notebook every now and then." How is it supposed to be exciting or fun for her? He wasn't particularly good at skimboarding or good-looking shirtless.

For real, go to a baseball game or something. Spectatorship isn't always bad, but this isn't real spectatorship. If he were a world champion skimboarder or if he were super-muscular, I could see that it might actually be fun for her to watch him and move around his ramps.

It just didn't look all that rewarding for her, like she wasn't really getting anything out of it. It sort of reminds me of that episode of Still Standing where the teenage daughter was dating some jerk, who kept playing basketball with her because he thought if he beat her mercilessly then she'd think he was a hunk, and at the end of the episode he says, "Maybe later you can come to my house and watch me lift weights." Really, I can understand wanting to showcase your talents, but what about some of her talents and stuff?

10 comments:

mle said...

Who would call anyone toots? it seems really..umm....weird to me.

RT (Panzer Time!) said...

I used to call girls "toots" all the time. But then I noticed that it was hurting my sales numbers in my insurance scam, so I had to stop.

You may be thinking that it's pronounced "toooots", like "Bob toots his horn." It's pronounced "tuts", sort of like Tootsie Roll.

Maybe I'll start calling YOU "toots."

Blub said...

That sounds perilously close to another word I'm thinking of...

Blub said...

Oh, and I'll skip on being called "toots."

Anonymous said...

You better not. That's all I'm gonna tell you. I remember your insurance scam. I never fell for it.

RT (Panzer Time!) said...

I don't remember trying to sell either of you insurance...

Anonymous said...

This is weird--practically the only memory I have of you in 7th grade (besides you going to Mr. Goddard's office). I remember you trying to scam me, and I was just like "whatever" and then I think you got into a fight with Amber Kean. Wouldn't suprise me.mle

RT (Panzer Time!) said...

I may have tried to scam you, but it definitely wasn't the insurance scam. I think. I really don't remember ever trying to sell you a policy.

Anonymous said...

Toots sounds more along the lines of a 1930's term. By the way, watch "Roaring twenties". It's a film about a speakeasy. How did you put your insurance scam into motion?

RT (Panzer Time!) said...

It is something that would have been heard in the thirties.

I tried selling insurance policies to people. I was insuring their skool supplies and stuff. I wrote up policies that more or less would have given me the right to steal or destroy whatever was insured. I only sold a few.