Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Balalaika! Balaclava! Meryl Silverburgh!

I'm listening to "Wind of Change" by Scorpions right now. If you don't know, it's about the fall of the Iron Curtain, and it's a song that would make me cry if I were physically able to cry.

It's such a touching song. So full of hope. So full of the joy of liberty and unity. So full of love for mankind.

It's the song that we should all sing.

Dr. Hal Emmerich was a great man. Sure he slept with his step-mom while his dad was drowning in a swimming pool. Sure he abandoned his step-sister. Sure he designed a nuclear death machine. But he still cared for mankind. A world full of Dr. Emmerichs would be a great thing.

Hm. Whatever happened to the hope? The happiness? The dignity through wrath?

Maybe it's still there. Maybe we just aren't looking hard enough. Maybe you can only see something like that in the rearview mirror.

How about we try to bring that back? How would we?

Let your balalaika sing
What my guitar wants to say.

Maybe I only say crap like this because I'm an educated white upper-class Protestant male.

If you hadn't noticed, I'm trying to make you guys think.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I ask, would there be a whole lot of happiness and hope in the world if the world was populated with poeople who slept with their step-moms while their dad was drowning in a swimming pool and abandon thier step-sisters? But still cared for mankind. We'd still be alive but the hurt would vastly outnumber the care.

About dignity through wrath... sould we be very openly wrathful in the first place?

Objects in mirror are closer than they appear.

mle

RT (Panzer Time!) said...

It's sort of an inside joke for Metal Gear fans, Mel. And readers of The Last Days of FOX-HOUND.

And I just had to throw the wrath part in. It seemed right put next to hope. I guess I'm still just in Joad-mode.

About the "objects in mirror:" are you saying that we really do have these things?

Looks like I succeeded in making people think. Mostly me, but still.

Apparently, I've learned my lesson about mixing several blog posts together.

Jellyfish said...

I'd rather have more Davids than Hals.

I'd rather not have too much of a certain person/type of person.

Variety makes the world go round.

Jellyfish said...

heart attack!

RT (Panzer Time!) said...

Honestly, I think we have a perfectly fine world. That song just gets me all hopeful.

I don't think there could ever be more than one David, though. And Hal's decidedly one of a kind too.

And Mel: Did you ever hear The Trooper?

Jellyfish said...

True.

Not even Jack's clones could live up to Jack...

BTW, Kelso plays The Trooper all the time. Just a fun fact.

Anonymous said...

David?
Hal?
Ahhhhhh! I think inside jokes are after me! That's all right. I'm used to it.

I think I am trying to say that these things are there and it suprises us when we see it in the "mirror" because we think its farther off.

No. I have not heard the trooper.
mle

RT (Panzer Time!) said...

I get it now!

Anonymous said...

The Trooper is an Iron Maiden song, if that's what you are referring to. "Across The Universe" by The Beatles is very touching... not that I know lol. "Estranged" by Guns N' Roses is such a good song to a good trilogy. I compose my own stuff on the guitar because it's better to create something out there than to adopt something some guy already made.

Jellyfish said...

But learning other songs and getting to know and feel good music before composing your own is very important.

If you've played guitar, you've played other songs.

It's that simple.

who are you, btw?

RT (Panzer Time!) said...

I'd like to know the same thing.

Not that this is private or secret or anything... just curious.